Sorry I've been away for so long. It was a really rough departure from Belize on October 11th, 2018. I'm now traveling for 10 days and I'm not sure if I'll be back home any time soon. It will probably be a year or so till I get back. Absolutely no clue.
So what's up? A lot man. A whole fcking lot.
I've been staying with a friend I couchsurfed with in May 2018, and it's been quite interesting. I even went to Dallas for a weekend and had a very nice time with another couchsurfer from Bosnia.
It was absolutely amazing couchsurfing and experiencing the feeling of being welcomed with open arms. I'm incredibly grateful for all the help and connection so far 🙏
Of course, it hasn't been perfectly smooth, but that was totally expected.
So surfing in the USA taught me a couple of things so far, and it's just been 10 days!
Here are some of those things:
- U.S. Americans are fcking crazy and excessive
- Shopping at a dollar store can save lives but check your receipt because a lot of the items not labeled with prices is more expensive. It's a trap!
- Fiesta supermarket is very affordable
- Houston seems to have more immigrants than locals. Pretty cool in my opinion.
- All immigrants seem to watch each other's back. It's like we're all Jews. It's nice though. I've gotten lots of help at the airport, in banks and in every service industry.
- Tipping is absurdly ridiculous. The restaurants even include the tip in the bill so you don't escape. 18% is absurdly high.
- U.S. Americans seem to live in constant paranoia compared to my country. It's a little sad how disconnected this makes everyone feel. Ego is like a necessary requirement :(
I have a lot of stuff I'd like to write about at the moment, but I only have a phone and a tablet, so I'm filming and writing from these. It's been nice not having a lot of gear to carry around, but I think I'll get some in the near future.
So what's next? I'm flying into California on October 23rd, 2018 to couchsurf, meet a friend, possibly work and bask in the American culture lol.